Saturday, March 7, 2009

Reading

Since the title of my blog infers that I like reading, I thought it time I posted about what has been on my bedside table recently. I have just finished Dirt Music by Tim Winton. Winton is one of those authors I long felt I should read but never felt driven to, until now. Due to self imposed budgetary constraints this year I am tackling my pile of purchased and not yet read books. I remember learning about Tim Winton when living in London and seeing Cloudstreet, the play promoted. I wanted to go because it was Australian, but didn't for some reason......

As I started reading Dirt Music I felt as though I couldn't associate with the characters and was put off by the Australianisms and my unfamiliarity with towns like White Point. I found half way through, that I thought about the story during the day and looked forward to my next chance to read. There was something memorable about the characters and especially the relationship between Fox and Georgie that rang true. I often cringe at the Crocodile Dundee like characters and this book was no exception. I guess I have to accept that they exist and effectively represent both the harshness and the earthy humour of Australia. I will read Cloudstreet at some point and see if it helps me decide if I am a Winton fan or not.

Another book recently completed was my Grandmother (Minnie)'s copy of a biography of Mary Reibey. I believe she was a real person, an early pioneering woman who came to Sydney as a convict but soon rose to be one of the wealthiest, through trade and property. It was a bit of a historical romance and the author used quite a bit of artistic license to recreate Mary's character, life and relationships. I loved reading about the early days in Sydney's settlement, which appeared to be historically correct. She is on our $20 note, I wouldn't have known that - thanks wikipedia.....

I also read and wrote a review of The Jihad Seminar by Hanifa Deen for the Australian law Librarian earlier this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment